Creative Writing - History of hands4 - Hands Part 4 - 3 Quick Memories - Highlights - As Part of Project -

 Written 12 Mar 21 - Transcribed 15 Mar 21


This part 3 of History of Hands - This assignment is to write 3 more 1 Paragraph pieces in a total of 15 minutes.   - The assignment here is the Same Theme (hands) - but different episodes/events/circumstances.

*************************************************


#1.  Robin Ray


Uncharacteristically, my hands weren't sweaty.  Weren’t shaking. My knees were stable. My stomach was peaceful, too. 


I didn’t understand it.  I was about to walk on Center Court at the beautiful Palisades Tennis Club in Newport Beach, California.  And, play my first round tennis match against Robin Ray.


I remember it was the Pacific Southwest Tennis Tournament. A big, major tournament by anyone's standards. It featured some of the best players in the world. Robin Ray included.


Robin had played professionally on the ATP Tour. In his playing days, Robin had been ranked inside the top 20 in the world. I was about to play an honest to god big-time, big-name, ATP Tour professional.  


I remember that many of my tennis friends told me Robin had never lost an amateur tournament in his life after his stint on the pro tour.


And, I was about to play him on the "show Court."


Why wasn't I terrified?



# 2 Dave Johnsrud


I remember the courts were old, cracked, and carried a patina of dirt and dust. The Cyclone fences were bent.  There were no wind screens. Almost falling down in some places.


I remember the long drive up to Riverside, California for the “Riverside Open.”  I was playing in the “Seniors.”  My division was open to anyone 50 years old or older.  We all just call it “The 50’s.”


I preferred playing the senior tournaments. Generally, that's where you find the better players. They’re more inclined to be fair, too. Gentlemen. In tennis matches, we are our own officials.  Everyone playing is a fierce competitor. Playing to win. Why else play?


But, the egos are not so attached to the outcomes in the Seniors. 


In the other category of tournaments, the “NTRP’s”, you normally find younger players with bigger, misguided egos. They take the results more personally.  They’re are more apt to create drama.  To misbehave.  To break rules. To cheat, to put it bluntly.  Results, for them, too often trump sportsmanship.



# 3.  Art Santilli


We shook hands with great mutual respect.  


I remember it was after our hard-fought war of a tennis match.


My opponent was shorter and stockier than me. A full-time tennis teaching pro. He'd started playing in his youth. He had great skills. And, is really a nice guy. He, I think, was shocked that he lost to a newcomer "hack" like me.


It was the final of the "back draw" at my favorite tennis venue and tournament. The La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club in La Jolla, California.


I remember being exceptionally nervous going into the match. You could tell by my sweaty palms, if nothing else. Friends and family of his were watching.  One or two of my friends, too.  I didn't want to make a complete fool of myself. I took 4 towels on court just to make sure to keep my hands dry.


In addition to everything else, it was the first time I'd played with a chair umpire on the court. Judging our line calls, foot faults, and everything else you can judge a tennis match.


I guess you could also tell how nervous I was because during the 10-minute warm-up, I could barely get a ball over the net. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative Writing - Describe Object - Tennis Racket - 20 Min Timed - Like Strawberry Exercise

Creative Writing - History of Hands - Part 2 - As Part of Project -