3 Assignments in one - Creative Writing - Somenting You Did Today 10 Minute Timed Writing

 Written 10 Mar 21 - Transcribed 14 Mar 21


Assignment:  Timed writing - 10 Minutes Timed:  Write About Something You Did Today.  

*****************************************************


Normal people, if they woke up at 3:00 AM, would consider it the middle of the night. They'd want to get back to sleep for another four or five hours.


I got up at 3:00 AM today.  My normal is between 3:00 and 4:00.   Let's just say in the course of a year I probably average around 3:30. 


No alarm. Not intended nor intentional. It's just when I wake up. I always have.


I'm a morning person.   So was my mom.


I remember sitting on the floor in my family's dining room. It wasn't a fancy, formal dining room. It was just where our big round Maple family gathering and dining table was.  There were five of us.  My mom, dad, big sister, and little brother.  And me.  The table could easily accommodate eight.  Without the three additional leaves that were stored in the front hall closet.  They usually only made appearances around Thanksgiving and Christmas.   


A huge round Lazy Susan sat in the middle of the table.  The chairs were matching maple. Rounded backs with spindles connecting the backs to the seats. Thank God for the gingham seat cushions Grandma made for us. 


Every morning I sat on the hardwood floor. Mom sat in the light gray easy chair in the corner. The curtains on both big bay windows were always open. Mom and I liked to welcome the dawn each morning.


We met out there around 5:30 or 6:00. Every morning. Including the weekends.  Not scheduled.  Not planned. Not intended necessarily. We just did it. We were both morning people.  It was our time alone together.  Special time.  My dad, brother, and sister wouldn’t be up for another hour or more. 


I remember Mom sipping her coffee and drilling me on my spelling words. Relentlessly. Tirelessly. Patiently. Lovingly. 


I think, during my entire grammar school through high school years, that I never missed even one single spelling word.


I was thinking about Mom and our mornings today as I got my first coffee and settled in to start writing. I was at work long before most of my family and friends or more “normal” folks would even be conscious.


Thinking about Mom today. And our mornings. And excited to welcome the dawn.

*******************************************


2.  Additional Assignment - 3 Minute Timed Writing.  Write a version in the 2nd Person.  “You.”

******************************************8


You were always an early riser. Around 3:30 was your normal.


You'd always been that way. Even as a kid in third grade.  You'd be up and about before the crack of dawn. Way ahead of the rest of the family.


Except for your mom. You and your mom would meet in the family dining room. Your mom would sit in the big cushy "easy chair" in the corner. You'd sit on the dark hardwood floor. 


Your mom would quiz you on your homework. She’d give you your spelling words. Or, sometimes, the two of you would just chat about who knows what?  Or sit still. Comfortable together in the silence.  Awaiting the dawn. 


******************************************


#3 - Another 3 Minute Timed Writing - Using all dialogue.


*******************************************


"Hi, Mom," Dexter said.


"Good morning, Dexie,” Vivian, his mother said. "How'd you sleep?"


“Great."


"Whatcha got to work on this morning? I bet a new spelling word list. Right?"


"Yep. Right here waiting for you."


"Hold on a sec till I get my coffee. I'm really glad at least one of my kids is an early bird, too. Don't get me wrong. I love your brother and sister.  And, I also love my quiet, alone time.  But the early mornings are better when you're here."


"Me, too, Mom. And, look! The sun’s sneaking up over the mountain. I love you."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative Writing - History of hands4 - Hands Part 4 - 3 Quick Memories - Highlights - As Part of Project -

Creative Writing - Describe Object - Tennis Racket - 20 Min Timed - Like Strawberry Exercise

Creative Writing - History of Hands - Part 2 - As Part of Project -