Creative Writing - History of Hands - Hands Part 3 - As Part of Project -

 Written 12 Mar 21 - Transcribed 15 Mar 21


This part 3 of History of Hands - 10 Minutes Timed - The assignment here is to do 3 or 4 Memories of the same thing (hands) - but different episodes or circumstances


*****************************************************

# 3


I don't remember my hands shaking or sweating that day in Huntington Beach, California. Or my knees shaking.


But if they were in sync with the blaring cacophony of emotions screaming in my gut, I'd bet a month's vacation in Hawaii that they were.


Driving to the world-famous Lindborg Racket Club in Huntington Beach, California, named for its famous National Champion and Gold Ball winner, tennis Legend, Lenny Lindborg, was bad enough.


This was only my second tennis tournament. And I don't count the first one. It was a minor tournament and major disaster. A story of whining and crying for another day. 


Here I was, putting my sweaty palms, shaking knees, and explosive stomach up for slaughter at National Hard Courts. 


It's the biggest amateur tennis tournament in the United States. All the best players in the country and many from foreign countries were in the draw. 


What in the freaking hell was I thinking? And yet, here I was. 


As I got close to the entrance, I saw the massive banner:  "Welcome to the USTA Men's 50’s National Hard Court Championships.” This is the place where the highest-ranked, winningest, 50 and over, men's tennis players from anywhere in the world have come to do battle. To find out to find who’s the best.


I don't remember throwing up. But wouldn't be surprised if I did. I'd be more surprised if I didn't.


Talk about an emotional roller coaster.  


My ego was proud that I'd had the temerity even to enter. The audacity. Little, inexperienced, fifty-year-old me. Walking into the big time. Challenging some of the best in the world.  Sweaty palms and all.


Excitement muffled by terror.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creative Writing - History of hands4 - Hands Part 4 - 3 Quick Memories - Highlights - As Part of Project -

Creative Writing - Describe Object - Tennis Racket - 20 Min Timed - Like Strawberry Exercise

Creative Writing - History of Hands - Part 2 - As Part of Project -